Tuesday, April 18, 2006

GET YOUR OWN WORD!

I want to share something with you that I preached on at the beginning of the year but, I have had multiple discussions about lately again.

2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I know you are thinking you have heard this all before but let's look at it a little different this time. I know most people think of this as a verse telling you to learn your bible so that you can share with others when the time arises and they will know you are a Christian. Other people look at this as a verse telling you to know your Word so that you can defend God, I don't think He needs us to do that. Still others look at this as a verse saying study to support what you believe. While each of these have some merit I want you to think differently today.

In the short time I have been in ministry I already have had people ask me to give them a word. I have heard many preachers preach on this very thing. I talk to "Christian" friends who can't wait to go to church so that they can get a good word, because their week has been so rough. Still others want to sit with someone and listen to them explain the Bible because they love it but they do not understand it on their own. Let me be southern for a minute and say all of that's hogwash!

I want to share a couple of thoughts with you. I forewarn you that I am not always the greatest at being political, but I do love the TRUTH! We live in a society that is probably worse than any other time in history. We have taken the if it doesn't hurt me who cares stand for so long that now the most obscene things are commonplace and we don't understand why. I am going to share the ultimate answer to our problems in two words. Are you ready? Biblical laziness!!! What?! I know you can't believe it, can you? I talk to people everyday so are devoted church goers. I mean if the doors are open they are there. If we are cleaning up the church, they are there. If we are having a bake sale, they are there. They love the Lord, they support their church, and they read their Bible right along with the Pastor on Sunday and Wednesday. I would say I don't mean to be harsh, but the time for coddling is over. We are in the end times. You may think that is crazy but if you would read that book a little more you would recognize the amount of prophecy that has already been fulfilled, and you would be on the same bandwagon as pretty much every Christian preacher in the world.

Now let's bring it down a notch. Let's take a look at a some really good reasons to study.

  1. The time is coming when we may not be able to freely meet in this country. The world is doing everything that they can to outlaw the Bible from everywhere. I am sure that if they can accomplish that Church will not be far behind. There have already been attempts to rid all of Canada of the Bible by listing it as hate material because of the condemnation of homosexuality. Here is a hint, if we didn't need to be reading it and it didn't matter if we did; Satan would not be working so hard to get rid of it. Light Bulb!!

  2. When the time comes that we are meeting in underground churches or in basements of our homes and there isn't a "preacher"; who's going to give you your word? The greatest preacher and teacher resides in every Christian, the Holy Spirit. I love listening to a good preacher just as much if not more than the next person, and hey I do my share of preaching. Here is the secret though, we have no special knowledge that you can't get as well. The Holy Spirit is the greatest preacher and teacher there is. If you talk to most preachers they will tell you that the sermons that you have loved the most have been guided and preached by the Holy Spirit and they were just a mouthpiece. You can know as much or more than any preacher does.

  3. Now, let's get real heavy for a minute. Your family member that never comes to church all of a sudden has questions and God is drawing them. This family member will NOT talk to the preacher, bad experience with preachers. Are you going to let them go to hell because you are not sure what scriptures to share with them or take them through because hey you just listen to the preacher on Sunday? When Christ is drawing a person that has some church history, they almost always want to see scripture to back up what you are saying. Are you going to sneak into the other room and call the pastor to get a word?

  4. Finally, the word is your weapon. Ephesians 6:17 ....the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. Your greatest weapon against Satan is scripture. Even when Christ was tempted by Satan He continually quoted scripture to fight him. He did not go into some long explanation defending what He was or was not doing, He quoted scripture. If scripture is what Christ would use to fight off Satan during trials and temptations I believe it is good enough for me to use as well.

Remember that I love each and every person out there. I want you to understand that without time spent in your Word you are going to war with no weapons. Going to this war without a weapon leads to spiritual death. Please remember Christ loves you and made sure you had the tools you need and Him by your side. If you are not using those tools or He is not standing with you please take the time to fix that. If you are not standing in Christ and do not know Him as your Savior, please contact someone. You can reach me via email and I will return your email or if you will send me a phone number I will call you. I love you and more importantly Christ loves you.

God Bless!

Pray!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counter
Macys Store